Thursday, January 30, 2014

Valencia Garden's Community Out Cry




In November of last year I was contacted by a former youth of mine who participated in a program I facilitated to organize collaborative summits addressing the broken relationship between police and youth in the community, while I was a case manger for Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center. She informed me that her friend DJ Williams and a few of his friends had been beaten up by undercover police officers in the recently renovated Valencia Gardens apartments. Later that afternoon while scrolling my social network I came across several post from former youth, as well as a call for support from a photographer homie  of mine by the name of  Travis Jensen. 

Travis had coincidentally been teaching DJ and his friends about photography and shared his personal understanding of DJ's character and the injustice that the "Valencia Garden 4" (this is how I will be referring to the young men who were assaulted) were currently experiencing. So I reached out Travis to let him know that I'd come and provide support by taking footage of the rally.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment